Best Colleges For ObGyn: Obstetrics and gynecology, or OB/Gyn, is a medical specialty focusing on women’s health, especially women’s reproductive health. An Ob/Gyn is a doctor that can diagnose and treat disorders linked to the reproductive system, including the ovaries and the uterus.
An Ob/Gyn also observes female patients during pregnancy and childbirth. Some gynecologists can also have additional training to be able to diagnose metabolic disorders that often are linked to reproductive health, and also may assist in treating obesity.
An Ob/Gyn may also be involved in diagnosing and treating cancers developing in the reproductive system. This is a complicated discipline that requires a thorough understanding of both various aspects of female health, as well as the course of the pregnancy and possible complications.
An Ob/Gyn also would need to master surgical skills, as well as midwifery.
Table of Contents
- How did we pick the bests schools for Ob/Gyn?
- Best Colleges for ObGyn
- Northwestern University (Feinberg School of Medicine), Chicago, IL
- Yale School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Emory University School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR
- UT Health Science Center, Houston, TX
- Key References
How did we pick the bests schools for Ob/Gyn?
So, what is the best college to go to for ob gyn? In our search for the best colleges, we have relied on the following criteria:
- High national ratings of the medical schools.
- The ratings of residencies in Obstetrics and gynecology offered by the School.
- The percentage of students matched with reputable OB/Gyn residencies.
- Positive student reviews
- Presence of courses on the new techniques (for instance, new surgery methods).
- Presence of research departments and institutes specializing in Women’s Health.
- Positive reviews by students.
How To Become A Gynecologist (OB/GYN)?
An obstetrician/gynecologist is a medical specialist who deals with the female urogenital system. Explore how to become a gynecologist & qualifications.
Best Colleges for ObGyn
Here are the best medical colleges to prepare for becoming an OB/GYN doctor:
Northwestern University (Feinberg School of Medicine), Chicago, IL
Feinberg School of Medicine is a part of Northwestern University, a private school in Chicago, Illinois. The School is highly ranked and offers a quality preparation for OB/GYN residencies.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at Northwestern University?
- The school curriculum focuses on active learning instead of solely lecture-based instruction.
- The students can gain experience in obstetrics and gynecology during clerkships in the third year and rotations during the fourth year.
- The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Feinberg school of medicine offers specialized courses in most modern areas of the discipline.
- The graduates of the medical School are successfully matched with reputable residencies.
- The School has a specialized ‘Womens Health Research Institute.
More Information: Feinberg School of Medicine OB/GYN
Yale School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT
Yale University is a highly rated private institution that is part of the so-called Ivy League. Its School of Medicine is also highly ranked and offers a quality curriculum.
The School’s Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences offers a 4-year OB/Gyn residency accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, and the training takes place at the Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at Yale School of Medicine:
- The Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences of the School offers multiple courses to undergraduate students.
- The School has specialized OB/GYN medical interest group for undergraduate students.
- There is a Women’s and Children’s Health Clerkship available at the Department for the third year students.
- There are several campuses available of OB/GYN residency training at New Haven.
- There are various research seminars focused on Reproductive Sciences.
More Information: Yale Obgyn Degrees
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Harvard Medical School is part of the famous Ivy League university. It is currently ranked first among medical schools in the USA. It has a well-known obstetrics and gynecology department which offers general courses for undergraduate students, as well as clerkships and residencies.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at Harvard Medical School:
- Harvard Medical School is a prominent and well-equipped institution that provides quality education.
- Harvard Medical School has several large teaching hospitals, including Brigham and Women’s hospital with a prominent women’s health department.
- The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Harvard Medical School offers a comprehensive annual course in Obstetrics and Gynecology available to licensed specialists that covers advancements in various areas of the field.
More Information: Harvard HMS
Emory University School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Emory University is considered to be one of the best schools in the South. Its School of medicine is in the top 25 in the USNews rankings, and its Gynecology and Obstetrics residency program are also well regarded.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at Emory University
- The medical program at Emory University is known to be clinically rigorous.
- The Gynecology and Obstetrics residents would have an opportunity to practice at several hospitals located in Atlanta, covering various fields of the specialty.
- There is a new fellowship in Lower Genital and Anal Dysplasia treatment available at the Gynecology and Obstetrics Department.
- Modern research facilities that allow studies in the fields of genetics, genomics, metabolomics, and immunotherapy.
More Information: Emory Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
University of California San Francisco is a public research university and a part of the University of California system. Its School of medicine is well-regarded and offers various degrees and accelerated programs.
Why study Obstetrics and gynecology at University of California San Francisco:
- UCSF is known for its state of the art teaching equipment.
- The curriculum includes unique electives and assistance in career for seniors.
- UCSF Obstetrics and Gynecology department has a various research program in the field of Women’s Health.
- UCSF Obstetrics and Gynecology department offers courses to various student groups, from nurses and midwives to undergraduate and graduate medical students.
- UCSF Obstetrics and Gynecology department offers online and recorded lectures on crucial topics in the field.
More Information: University of California San Francisco ObGyn
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University Medical School is very well – known and highly ranked. It provides a rigorous medical education with an excellent clinical experience.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at Johns Hopkins:
- Johns Hopkins is a leading medical University with an outstanding reputation.
- A unique curriculum organization where the students participate in rotations from the first year along with academics (Genes to Society curriculum).
- The campus at the School provides various sports activities.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Department is ranked 2nd at the US News site.
More Information: John Hopkins ObGyn
Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
The University of Pennsylvania is one of the highly regarded Ivy League private Universities. Perelman School of Medicine is known for its innovation and quality research.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at the UPenn:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology Department at the UPenn offers various specializations from Family Planning to Menopause care.
- UPenn has specialized Penn Health For Women Program.
- There are two hospitals with available residency programs: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania Hospital.
- The School has a Simulation Centre available for students that covers essential gynecologic procedures.
- Undergraduate students are offered a thorough course in Reproductive Pathophysiology during the clerkship period.
More Information: UPenn ObGyn Degrees
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
The University of Southern California is located in one of the most famous cities in the state – Los Angeles. Its medical college, the Keck School of Medicine, is the oldest medical school in Southern California.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at Keck School of Medicine:
- Keck School of Medicine is praised for its efficient administration and comfortable campus for students.
- The students have mentors that assist with clinical practice and patient relationships.
- OB/GYN department of the Keck School of medicine has fellowships in Fetal Surgery and Global Health.
- The students are taught modern surgical techniques, including minimally invasive surgery and robotic surgery.
- OB/GYN department of the Keck School of Medicine has a highly acclaimed Fertility division.
More Information: Keck School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR
Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) is a prominent research public university. It is well-known for its active research and academics, and the university also develops community health programs in the state.
Why study Obstetrics and Gynecology at the OHSU:
- The OB/GYN department has vital research programs in the area of Women’s Health and Global Health.
- The medical School of OHSU has a specialized Women’s Health Center.
- More than 1, 500 work at OHSU as clinical doctors and other medical specialists.
- The curriculum of the OHSU medical school was recently reworked to reflect modern challenges.
- The School offers academic support and tutoring.
More Information: OHSU Obgyn Courses
UT Health Science Center, Houston, TX
UTHealth is a medium public university specializing in Health Sciences. It is a part of the University of Texas System. It is a relatively affordable school with rigorous academics, focused on preparing students for their professional lives and necessary exams. It also has a prominent research center. Unlike most universities, UTHealth does not have any Greek life and lacks sports.
Why Study Obstetrics and Gynecology at UTHealth?
- Its Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences department has a new Women’s Health Integrative Medicine Research Program.
- McGovern Medical School of UTHealth has a variety of unique research centers.
- The School provides multiple additional resources for students specializing in health sciences.
- The school campus is very secure.
- The McGovern medical school offers a specialized Obstetrics Anesthesia Fellowship.
More Information: UTHealth ObGYN
Most medical schools give a thorough preparation for further work in the clinic. Still, John Hopkins University, with its resources and innovative curriculum, seems current to be the top School to go for medical studies in general and OB/Gyn residency in particular.
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, March 12). Top 10 BEST Colleges For ObGyn. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/best-colleges-for-obgyn.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "Top 10 BEST Colleges For ObGyn" Bio Explorer, 12 March 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/best-colleges-for-obgyn.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "Top 10 BEST Colleges For ObGyn" Bio Explorer, March 12 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/best-colleges-for-obgyn.html/.
- “Women’s Health Research Institute | Science to Care”. Accessed September 05, 2020. Link.
- “Manually Fix”. Accessed September 05, 2020. Link.